Often people who have a sore throat or running nose will find relief in the use of a vaporiser. A vaporiser work by steaming a solution like eucalyptus or other natural therapy products into the air to clear the nasal passages for easier breathing and relieves dry, scratchy throats.
In most cases people who use vaporisers and diffusers are unaware they are creating the perfect environment for mould growth. As the solution is steamed into the air the humidity within the room increases significantly and causes condensation to occur.
The condensation then increases the surface moisture content of plasterboard, window frames and other materials to allow significant mould growth to take place.
In many cases people who were trying to get over flue like symptoms are shocked to find mould now growing in their bedroom whilst they are trying to get better.
If the vaporiser is giving you some relief from your symptoms then it makes sense to keep using it, although there are a few things you can do to manage the humidity.
- Limit the use to a short period of time.
- Wipe down any visible condensation you can see on your walls and windows
- If you need to run the vaporiser or diffuser for hours on end to get relief consider buying a small dehumidifier to dry the room during the day and remove moisture from building materials.
Once visible mould growth can be seen in a room no vaporisers or diffusers should be used as it can allow the mould growth to accelerate rapidly.