does disinfectant kill mould?


Disinfectant is a really popular cleaning product and there is an enormous variety of brands and types on the market.

The reality is some are much more effective than others. Some disinfectants will kill microbial and fungal organisms but with such a range of products out there you need to do your homework.

Check the ingredients list. What are the active ingredients?

Will they be safe for carpets or delicate fabrics or will they damage the fibres and cause discolouration.

Some commercial disinfectants still include more traditional ingredients such as oil of cloves or tea tree oil.

Although these natural ingredients can be powerful antibacterial agents they can also cause unintended harm.

Some of these natural ingredients can cause allergic reactions or mild burning and may not be appropriate where young children may come into contact with them.

The big problem with most disinfectant is that they won’t prevent the return of mould nor will they get to the real source of the problem.

Most commercial disinfectants are ideally formulated for hard surfaces such as glass and steel and will clean up mild mould infestations on those surfaces without any problems.

To sum up:

Disinfectants can be really effective temporary solutions for getting rid of mould on hard, polished surfaces around the home.

Disinfectants have their role in the home but be careful using them on delicate fabrics. If you really want to get rid of mould you need to find the source of the mould problem and that isn’t always obvious.

Mould Cleaning Australia uses industry leading best practices to identify the source of your mould problem and remove the mould at its roots.

Rate this content!

Average rating / 5. Vote count:

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Book your FREE INSPECTION today!

See Related Content

Wikipedia Reference:


A perfect disinfectant would also offer complete and full microbiological sterilisation, without harming humans and useful form of life, be inexpensive, and noncorrosive. However, most disinfectants are also, by nature, potentially harmful (even toxic) to humans or animals.

Some disinfectants have a wide spectrum (kill many different types of microorganisms), while others kill a smaller range of disease-causing organisms but are preferred for other properties (they may be non-corrosive, non-toxic, or inexpensive).