Mould is a type of fungi that are naturally occurring organisms playing a major role in the earth’s ecosystem. Mould grows best in damp and poorly ventilated areas and reproduces by making spores. It can present virtually everywhere, indoors and outdoors and can grow in and on materials such as food, furniture, fabrics, carpets, walls, paper, timber and plumbing.
Why Do I Have Mould?
Mould growth occurs when there is a water source or moisture present in an environment with limited or no sunlight. Moisture on gyprock, wood, carpet and other material in an indoor environment can provide an ideal place for mould growth to occur.
How Does Mould Affect Your Health?
Mould produces airborne mould spores, which can increase particles in an indoor environment.
Whenever particles, such as smoke, pollen and dust, are increased in an indoor environment, health affects can occur and you should seek advice from a medical professional.
- Plasterboard ceilings and wall
- Timber panels
- Textured ceilings
- Particle board
- Aluminium frames
Where Could the Moisture Source be Coming From?
Common water source issues can be a lack of bathroom ventilation, roof leaks, rising damp, plumbing leaks and condensation. Mould Cleaning Australia can offer you a free on-site inspection to help you identify the issue.
What is Causing the Mould if There is No Water Leak?
When there is a water leak in a property, there are likely visible signs of mould growth and water damage at the actual source of the water leak.
Sometimes there is no water leak where the mould is growing. Often mould will grow along external walls, and sometimes even in patterns on the ceiling, where temperature difference occurs on the surface.
This is because elevated humidity levels will condensate on different thermal areas of a room. One of our technicians can explain this further during a free onsite inspection.
How Much Does it Cost for Someone to do a Mould Inspection on My Property?
Mould inspections are free of charge with no obligations for homeowners, property managers and the industries we serve.
How Long Does a Mould Inspection Take to Perform?
Generally, for residential properties the whole inspection can be completed within 45 minutes.
How Long Does it Take to Perform the Mould Removal Services in a Residential Property?
95% of treatments can be performed in one day allowing you to return to the property that evening.
How Long Will it Take to Receive an Inspection Report?
In most cases, we can email you a copy of the report within one business day.
I’m a Tenant, How Can I Get a Mould Inspection On my Rental Property?
Simply ask your property manager to email through a work order and we can arrange for an inspection and report, free of charge. Alternatively, if you rent privately, ask your property owner to contact our office directly.
Are Your Reports Independent?
Yes, we do not undertake any repairs or installations of ventilation systems, so the recommendations offered in the inspection reports are not a sales pitch to sell you products.
What Are the Common Causes of Mould?
Aside from a water intrusion event such as flooding, leaking roofs, damaged pipes or hot water systems etc., the most common cause of mould comes from air exchange issues. Air exchange issues arise when excess humidity is present. This is very common at times when the outside air is cooler than the inside air. This will result in condensation and subsequently an excess of moisture inside your home.
When is Mould a Problem?
You know you have a mould problem when you see small black or white specks on walls, furniture and contents.
Mould is often found in areas where water has damaged the building materials and furniture from flooding or plumbing leaks. Mould often grows in rooms with both high water usage and humidity such as kitchens, bathrooms, laundries and basements. If you notice mould or know of water damaged area in your home, it is time to act, and control the mould present.
Can I Be Exposed to Moulds?
When moulds are disturbed, they release spores into the air. You can be exposed by breathing air containing these mould spores. You can also be exposed through touching mould-affected items, eating mould-affected food or accidental hand to mouth contact.
What Makes Mould Grow In My Home?
Mould enters your home as tiny spores. The spores need moisture to begin growing, digesting and destroying. Mould can grow on almost any surface, including; wood, ceiling tiles, wallpaper, paints, carpet, plasterboard, and insulation. The mould grows best when there is lots of moisture from a leaky roof, high humidity, or flood. There is no way to get rid of all moulds and mould spores from your home. But you can control mould growth by keeping your home dry.
What Products Do You Use?
The Goldmorr System will generally use only two products during the mould cleaning process. The first product is GM6000. This product is a Sodium Hypochlorite based product to clean the visible mould. It is used on hard surfaces only, such as walls, ceilings, tiles and concrete. It is common knowledge that Sodium Hypochlorite has associated Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), similar to household bleach, however, part two of the process will neutralize those VOCs. Importantly, unlike some other products, GM6000 will not remove the paint from your walls or ceiling.
Part two of our process is the most important. We will fog the entire structure with a product that will eliminate the spores. GM2000 is biodegradable, non-toxic, low/non-irritant and non-corrosive. Best of all, it will eliminate the spores throughout your structure, thus preventing other colonies of mould being able to form in other rooms/areas.
What is the Fogging Process?
The fogging process involves misting GM2000 product throughout the indoor environment to remove and control mould spores.
Do I Have Toxic Black Mould?
“The term “toxic mould” is not accurate. While certain moulds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (specifically mycotoxins), the moulds themselves are not toxic, or poisonous.
Hazards presented by moulds that may produce mycotoxins should be considered the same as other common moulds which can grow in your house.
There is always a little mould everywhere – in the air and on many surfaces. There are very few reports that toxigenic moulds found inside homes can cause unique or rare health conditions such as pulmonary haemorrhage or memory loss.
These case reports are rare, and a causal link between the presence of the toxigenic mould and these conditions has not been proven.”